I’m New – What Do I Do?
We get it. You’re new, and you haven’t got a clue.
You don’t know what to wear, what to bring, where to park, how to act, or what to say – and that’s O.K.
The good new is: All you’ve really got to do is turn up and get stuck in. Honestly that’s it. But just in case you have those ‘New Girl Niggles’ – here’s a very brief little list of the top things we get asked about by total newbs all the time, and our responses.
What To Do – If You’re New…
The Night Before
- PACK a little gym bag the night before and put it in the car.
- WEAR whatever you’d normally wear to the gym … for now
- DON’T wear moisturiser on your body (face is ok)
- LEAVE all jewellery at home – Better left at home than left in class!
- COLLECT a lateral flow test from your nearest pharmacy (England), or order online in advance (Wales). They are free
- PACK a face covering or mask for entering the building
On The Day
- TAKE any medications before class, or bring them with you if necessary
- IF YOU bruise like a peach, take your Arnica tablets now!
- LEAVE a little early – we don’t get much traffic issues round here but, just in case!
- TAKE a lateral flow test, if you want to train mask free. A negative result will be asked for. They are super easy to do and not as yukky as a PCR test. It will tell us if you are unknowingly carrying Covid without symptoms – which is imperative for slowing the spread! Results are ready in 30 minutes too.
Due to Covid, we have some new safety procedures in place:
- WAIT for us to take your temperature before entering
- SHOW us your negative lateral flow test (But don’t hand it to us, we can’t take it)
- SANITISE or wash your hands immediately
- WAIT at your socially distant ab spinner board until it’s time to start
- REMOVE your mask when told to do so – if you have provided a negative lateral flow test
- WEAR your mask to move around the building (i.e – if you’re going to use the toilet or kitchen)
- DO the warm up – it’s important
- SANITISE every 15 or so minutes
- LISTEN to any instruction given
- DON’T talk over your instructor – it’s rude all round
- DO do stupid things! (safely and within reason)
- BUT DON’T do anything stupid! (You know the difference right?)
- SANITISE the pole after your use
- DON’T hog the pole
- DO be supportive – encourage, spot and have banter with your pole buddies
- DON’T hold stuff in – if you feel you need to tell us something, please do
- DON’T play the ‘I can’t do it’ card – YOU CAN AND YOU WILL! Maybe not today, maybe not next week, but you will.
- DO have a crack at everything, even if you think you have no chance – you might be surprised!
- TRUST us – we’re professionals!
- ENJOY your class – it’s meant to be FUN!
And Finally, When You Leave
- EXIT as safely as possible – there may be another class waiting just outside so remember to use social distancing
- LOAD UP on protein – this will feed your new muscles and speed recovery
- TREAT any bruises or muscle injuries with ice and rest for the first 2 days, then heat thereafter
- DO some gentle stretches at home to gain flexibility – even the basics will help!